Our Mission: to live by faith and be known by love!
Rev. Micki Robinson, Pastor
Ms. Michelle Hughes, Office Administrator
Ms. Vilia Corvison, Church Musician
Mrs. Yvonne Johnson, Clerk of Session
Mrs. Lavon Ellerman, Treasurer
Gulfport Presbyterian Church was founded in 1917. It was established, first, as an independent congregation. It became an organized Presbyterian Church in 1947 with 44 members. The first church building was between the current Sanctuary building and the Fellowship Hall.
In 1952, the Educational Building and Auditorium was dedicated. An addition was added in 1957. That space is the current Fellowship Hall. The groundbreaking for the Sanctuary was in 1962. That building was dedicated in 1963. That same year, the church voted to change its name from First Presbyterian Church of Gulfport to Gulfport Presbyterian Church!
During these early years, the church contributed to Presbyterian College (now Eckerd College), helped in the building of Cedarkirk, supported All Children’s Hospital with a blood drive, and sponsored a Vietnamese Orphan.
In 1976, the Sunflower School moved into the educational wing. The Gulfport Senior Services found a home in the Fellowship Hall in 1981. They moved to the Gulfport Senior Center a few years later. In 1990, the city used the Fellowship Hall for its summer program for young children.
In the mid-1990s, the church developed an outreach program to young people. Bruce Von Hoff was given the position of director of a Sports and Recreation ministry.
The current pastor of the church, the Rev. Micki Robinson, started on May 1, 2010. Together, with the session and the folks in the congregation, they are exploring ways of being a church community in a changing world. They are seeking ways of being faithful and trusting God’s grace and presence no matter what the present or future holds.
Kya Creative Preschool moved into a portion of our Fellowship Hall in 2016. We celebrate all the young people who gather on church property during the week!